Activated Charcoal – Looking At The Uses & Benefits of Activated Charcoal
If you are wondering what is activated charcoal and what can it do for me, keep reading. You can learn everything you need to know about it in this guide, including uses, possible side effects, and whom it is best suited for.
When it comes to your health, you always want to find the best and most natural products. These substances are less likely to cause negative reactions and sometimes they do things that you didn’t know were even possible. One product that fits these specifications is activated charcoal. It is something that has been around for a long time and has yet to outlive its usefulness. It is easy to find, a breeze to use, and quite diverse in what it is able to accomplish.
What is Activated Charcoal?
When you think of the word charcoal, you are probably thinking about an outdoor grill at your home. While the briquettes used in your grill are a type of charcoal, they may still have impurities, which you won’t find in the activated variety.
Activated charcoal is a fine black powder, which does not really have a taste or smell. It may be used for many different purposes, including helping you lessen health issues, or even in beauty regimens.
How is it made?
Activated charcoal is made from wood or coconut husks that have been burned at high temperatures, in order to make sure they are black in color. It can be made of other types of materials too, such as bone char or peat. The high temperature is the reason it is called activated. The heat also helps the charcoal produce small pores, which is the most important part of this product.
The small pores are what the toxins or chemicals will bind to, in order to get them out of your system. They have a very large surface area, which is why they are able to get so much material out of you at once.
The human body is unable to digest and absorb activated charcoal, so it goes through your digestive system and takes all the bad things with it. The process of the molecules binding to the charcoal is called adsorbing, and it is pretty much the opposite of absorption.
How do I take it?
It is generally sold in capsules so they will be easier to take in the same way you take pills. You can also find it in other ways, such as powder form, in case you want to use it for cosmetic purposes, or mix it in glass of water.
It is effective even if you only use one dose of it, depending on what you need help fixing in your body.
Who can use it?
There is no age limit as to who can use this product. Anyone from young kids to the elderly can use this product. The medical industry has been using it for many years in hospital settings, and it is now gaining popularity as a natural substance that can improve pretty much anyone’s life.
Everyone in your home can use it, and it can be used pretty much anytime you need it. It isn’t the type of thing you have to take every day, so you can always be sure to have some on hand for emergencies, or when you want to cleanse a certain part of your body.
It is even safe for pregnant women to use, although they should check with their obstetrician first to be sure. Many things are not able to be used when you are pregnant, so this is a big deal.
Related Article: Green Smoothie Recipe
Is it safe?
This charcoal remedy is relatively safe. There are not a lot of problems you can encounter if you take this product. For example, it is unlikely that someone is allergic to it or that it would give them a bad reaction of any sort. This is why it is okay for seniors and kids alike to use it, whenever they have a need to.
There may be an issue for you if you have existing problems in your colon, or if you are already constipated, but it is a safe product for most. It’s important to think about it as you would any other health product you are taking, so you do not forget to approach it with safety in mind.
Are there side effects?
The major side effect associated with this supplement is that some people may experience constipation when they first start to use it. This is something that should go away after a few uses though, and can be counteracted by knowing it may happen in advance. It can be used in conjunction with a stool softener, but be sure to note how it works on you first before you try that approach.
The other thing you’ll need to keep in mind is that it will make your stool black. This is because it does not change form as it does what you need it to do.
What You Should Know Before Taking
There are so many reasons why you may want to take this supplement, and it is significant to know the main reason that people take it. It is a trend among the health-conscious and for people that are trying to improve their health, which is a good thing. This makes it easier to get and you are able to obtain it without having to spend an arm and a leg.
Since it is able to bind to things that you don’t want near you, much less in your body, it takes out the trash. This allows you to feel better, and sometimes even look better. It is thought to be antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral, which is the reason why it is advantageous for getting rid of harmful chemicals, irritants, and other things you don’t need.
Something else that shouldn’t be understated is how easy it is to use. It does not involve doing a major science experiment or figuring out correct doses. If you want to take it for something, you can read the bottle to see what the proper dosing is. If you are putting it on your skin, you can use the amount you are comfortable with.
If you suffer from allergies, feel sluggish, or have an actual medical condition that is interfering with your overall routine, you are likely someone that will want to try activated charcoal. You may not get the results you are looking for right away, but that doesn’t mean that it is not working.
Many of the things it treats occur inside of your body, so there aren’t always signs that you are doing better. Of course, this doesn’t mean you cannot see symptoms improve as well. This is certainly a possibility. In the case of skin care or teeth whitening, you should be able to tell a difference rather quickly. If you do not, you can discontinue use at any time.
You won’t have to be worried about dependence or anything like that. This is an item that only has one ingredient and no hidden preservatives, so it isn’t adding anything that you don’t know about.
If you take the time to talk to friends, you may find that some of them have experience using it. These stories can help you to determine if it is something you want to use or if it isn’t worth the trouble. Considering all the things it is capable of assisting you with, it is certainly worth trying to see for yourself, if you have the time and opportunity to do so. Here’s a look at some of the things people use it for.
Related Article: Best Multivitamin For Men
- Remove toxins from the body. You can get toxins out of your body by using activated charcoal. It does this by essentially attracting the bad stuff in your body. It binds to the charcoal instead of your intestines or organs. There isn’t a general consensus regarding a complete list of all the toxins that can be removed, but it is thought be able to improve the health of any part of your body, or your overall health when used properly.
- Body cleanse. What goes along with this are body cleanses. You can take charcoal to cleanse your body before you start a new diet or healthy lifestyle. It should be able to take away toxins and harmful chemicals that have been affecting you and you didn’t know it. If you have been eating low quality foods and want to change your diet, this would be a good thing to try. After you take it, you will be able to absorb nutrients from healthy fruits and veggies better, since you will not be weighed down by bad stuff.
- Can stop some drug overdoses. It is able to do the same thing when it comes to drug overdoses. This isn’t just recreational drugs either. If you took too many of your own prescription pills on accident, activated charcoal is able to get the medicine out of your system, to lessen the harmful effects. This can in theory save your life.
- Alleviates gas and other stomach issues. Whenever you have painful gas that is hard to pass or seem to have it after many meals, this is an option that may be suggested when you go to the doctor. It can help you get rid of gas altogether and it can keep other stomach issues at bay as well. This includes things like indigestion or upset stomach.
- May help stabilize cholesterol levels. It may also be able to help you lower your cholesterol levels. In some studies, it was found that it helped raise good cholesterol levels and lowered bad cholesterol levels. These are results that should be looked into further. Regardless, this charcoal may be able to assist you in taking care of your health, along with a healthy diet.
- Allows kidneys to function normally. Those that have problems with their kidneys may find benefit in this charcoal. It can flush out things that you don’t want your kidneys to have to filter out and give them less work to do. This can help them heal themselves, since they won’t be overworked.
Other Benefits of Activated Charcoal
There are other benefits to this product that many people take advantage of as well. Some of these are talked about widely across the internet, so you can find groups using charcoal and finding relief for certain issues and problems.
- Clears up skin problems. You can use the powder to make a mask for your face to clean it. This is one of the ways that people use it topically, and it can do a good job helping you clean out your pores, as well as taking toxins and bacteria out of your skin. This has the added benefit of clearing up certain types of acne. You can find recipes by searching for them, or simply pick up a mask of this type for sale somewhere.
- Filters water. This is the most common use of this product, and it can be taken advantage of anywhere. If you have a water purifying pitcher or machine in your house, you should know that it contains this type of charcoal in it, in order to take gross things out of the water. It can also be used at home or when you are in a survival situation, where you can let water pass through a container with charcoal in it. This will make it safer to drink and lessen the risk of you getting some type of waterborne illness.
- Whitens teeth. There are tooth-whitening products out there that you use on your teeth a few times a week. They are to whiten teeth and get rid of old stains. Some are in the form of regular type toothpastes, while others are coarser pastes that you rub on your toothbrush or teeth, in order to see some impressive results.
- Clears up diarrhea. In addition to the other stomach issues it can clear up, it is also able to help you stop having diarrhea. Usually when you have this condition, a virus or bacteria caused it, so you probably want to get those bad germs out of you, as soon as possible. Charcoal can lend a hand with that and get it out faster than just allowing it to run through your system naturally.
- Works as a deodorant. Many people use it as deodorant as well. You can take charcoal powder and mix it with a carrier oil to take away your body odor. It will still allow you to sweat during the day without an unwanted smell attached. The mixture will be black however, so it is usually put on the night before and worn with dark clothing. Some even add essential oils to it, like lavender, in order to give it a pleasant aroma.
- Can be beneficial to heart and brain. The heart and brain are two of the most vital organs you have in your body. You need them to function properly, so you can have a good quality of life. You can take charcoal to help clear out toxins of these areas, even if you didn’t know that you had been exposed to some.
- Clears up allergies. If you already have allergies, you might want to take note that this stuff will help you. It can not only lessen the effects of allergies, but it will also clear allergens out of your body. This is especially helpful when you have been exposed to pollen, or air that isn’t the best quality.
- Lessens pain. It is able to take the pain away by taking the things that are causing you pain and binding to them. Just like with other types of issues, it can get these bothersome things out of your body, so you can start to feel better again. What is even better is that this is a natural product, so you won’t have to worry about it being full of chemicals, as is the case with some prescription pills.
- Cleans blood. You might even be able to clean your blood with it. It removes toxins from your blood, as it does with other parts, so you can limit the bad things you have moving through your systems. This can also help you keep certain bacteria and illnesses away.
Related Article: Best Essential Oil Brands
Tips to Follow
- Get the best type possible. You should know that not all charcoal is the same. Get the best kind or brand that you can find. In other words, do your research in order to find the most high quality product you are able to afford. Many people prefer for it to be made of coconut husk more so than another product and you must make sure that it is food grade. There are so many types to purchase out there that you may have to try a few to see which one works best. It’s a good idea to check out the company you are buying from beforehand, and to make sure you aren’t paying too much for their product.
- Take the proper dose. Another thing that you must pay attention to is the dosage size. You should never take more than you need. One of the reasons for this was mentioned earlier in the article, in the fact that it can cause constipation. If you take too much you may get this, and you will not be feeling your best.
- Only take it when you need it. You should only take activated charcoal when you need it. If you are having trouble with gas or you want to detox your systems, you can use it for a little while. However, it is not something that should be used every single day, so be sure you have a plan before taking it each time.
- Drink plenty of water. Drinking water is always a good idea but you should also make sure to stay properly hydrated when taking activated charcoal. It needs the water to get the product to move through your body the way it should. More importantly, it requires it so that it can get out of your body easily and quickly. You don’t really want to have charcoal sitting in your intestines and making you feel worse than you already do.
- Be aware that it works better on some people than others. Some will notice a big difference when they use this product and others won’t. There’s no way to tell beforehand if it will work well for you or not. You will have to try it for yourself to see. However, it is effective for everyone, so be sure to give it a chance first before you decide if you want to keep utilizing it.
- Talk to your doctor. If you are on any medications currently, you will need to talk to your doctor to see if it is safe to take charcoal. This is because it can interfere with many drugs out there, where it will remove them from your body, just as it does toxins and poisons.
- There is more research that needs to be done. While many people love and trust this charcoal to do all the things that it reportedly does, some of these uses have not been rigorously tested. There have been studies conducted in some cases that show a link between it and important health benefits, especially in terms of when someone is exposed to poison. At the same time, you have to be careful if you are purchasing products that have this substance in them. They may not have any health benefits and simply use enough to change the color. It is important to read the ingredients on any product you buy, so you can make sure you aren’t putting harmful chemicals in your body.
- Use your own judgment. If you take the time to search for this product for yourself, you will see that there are many people that believe in it and many that don’t. It isn’t something that will solve all your problems overnight, but it may be able to help you become healthier in a number of different ways. It is valuable for you to form an educated opinion for yourself before you start to use activated charcoal. If you go into it not believing it will work, there is a good chance you will be correct. On the flip side, if you use it with an open mind, you may see results that you really like.
There are so many reasons why activated charcoal can be beneficial to use for pretty much any person that is interested. This includes people of all ages that suffer from a number of different ailments.
If you have found yourself wondering what is activated charcoal, it is time to try it for yourself. You can purchase it in numerous forms for you to sample, including caplets, which are designed to help clean the inner parts of your body, or as a powder, which some use to make their own skin masks or tooth powders.
In addition, there are numerous activated charcoal items to try, since it is something that is a popular health trend. You can purchase anything from water to foods to soap. Some of these products may work well, while others won’t. You will have to use them if you want to test their effectiveness.
It is important to keep certain things in mind while you are shopping for this product, because you need to find the best quality you can and you must check with your doctor if you are taking any medicines already.
After you determine if you want to try it, you will need to figure out what you want to use it for. You can opt for an overall detox for your body or something more specific. Many methods are approached the same way, and can do wonders for you.
Arguably, the best thing about this product is that it doesn’t have any side effects. It is quite literally burned wood, which your body cannot break down. It enters your system the same way it leaves, making it able to take some bad things with it.
There is no smell or taste, so if you are someone that doesn’t like to swallow pills, this should be easier for you to ingest. The benefits of activated charcoal greatly outweigh the risks, which are relatively nonexistent. They include black stools or constipation, both of which are minor inconveniences.
Overall, it is an option that many believe in and trust. They believe it in because of what they have seen it do. It has been used in hospitals for many years, so it is no wonder that it can also be used in the privacy of your own home to improve wellness.