Natural Remedies For Headaches | Holistic Health HQ
This article offers a thorough product review of some of the best natural remedies for headaches.
A headache can start at any point in the daily schedule of everyone. When you have to deal with tough bosses, late nights, unstable sleep patterns, stress, long hours and more, popping a pill or seeking natural remedies becomes necessary.
What do you do when a bad day escalates from headaches to migraines? The easy way out is reviewing many natural options. Natural headache remedies work the wonders of relief; preferably within a short window. True, the severity of a headache may differ from person to person, which makes the search for suitable natural remedies for headache one’s self paramount.
What are the best natural remedies for a headache?
The best natural cures for headaches are natural remedies – measures that reduce and completely eradicate a headache.
Managing your headache
A headache is a condition that a good number of people deal with daily. In fact, most workers combat it during or after each day’s work and are looking for natural headache relief. From uncomfortable to extremely unbearable, headaches can disrupt the smooth sail of daily affairs sometimes.
By way of characterization, headaches are accompanied with tenseness in the neck, head region, shoulder, and scalp. When it aggravates into migraines, it becomes pulsating, splitting, and one-sided. While symptoms may vary from person to person, there are several types of headaches. For example, a tension headache is a common one and can be cured with natural headache remedies.
Cluster headaches, on the other hand, cause painful sensations and are felt in clusters or batches. Severe headaches are primary kinds of migraines. Of course, several thousands of hours and dollars have been dedicated to creating medications that relief these conditions – natural headache remedies also exist and are often more effective.
In addition to this, conscious personal efforts at managing headaches are quite important. To manage headaches, you should avoid headache-inducing substances including alcohol, excessive intake of caffeine, tyramine, aspartame (an artificial sweetener), and other related foods.
When you feel tense around your neck or begin to get a headache, completely stay off electronic devices such as your phone, television, laptop, headset, etc.
Related Article: Types of Headaches
General symptoms of headaches
The intensity of headaches often depend on their type. Hence, symptoms may differ in each case. If you experience any or some of the following when having a headache, apply your preferred natural headache relief mechanism.
- Slurry speech
- Loss of appetite
- Stiff neck
- Eye strain/back strain
- Muscular pains/ aches
Some common headache triggers:
- Sinus, colds, fever or throat infection
- Environmental factors such as noise, smoke, or pungent chemicals
- Food allergies
- Hormonal imbalance
- Vitamin imbalance
Types of headaches
A good number of us are familiar with the throbbing and uncomfortable effects we get from headaches. Apart from being any pain in the head region, headaches exist in different forms and the natural remedies for headaches for each differ. Headaches types are:
This kind of headache is characterized by a dull aching sensation all over your head region. They are generally triggered by stress and may reflect on the forehead, scalp, shoulder or muscles.
Cluster headaches have burning and piercing effects. Sometimes, their effects are felt behind the eye or one side of the face or on both. It may result in swelling, redness, flushing, and nasal congestion. These headaches occur in clusters or series and are common during spring and fall. Often, cluster headaches can last from minutes to hours. They have been found to be more common among men.
Hormone headaches have been largely linked to women as a result of hormonal fluctuations resulting from menstruation, birth control pills, pregnancy, etc. all these conditions affect the estrogen levels hence resulting in headaches. Natural headache remedies for hormone-induced headaches include yoga exercises, acupuncture, and balanced diets.
Excessive intake of caffeine is detrimental to the head. It affects blood flow. Daily consumption of caffeine without caution exposes the brain to its stimulating effects. Therefore, if you don’t get your fix in a day, it results in headaches and sluggishness. Scientists have proven that continuous use of caffeine changes brain chemistry and withdrawal triggers a headache.
Rebound headaches result from overuse of medicines. It is usually dull and intense. The most effective best natural cure for headache for this is to discontinue drug use and engage some natural brews.
Exertion headaches are a result of intense physical activity. These activities increase blood flow to the skull and cause throbbing on both sides of the head. An exertion headache shouldn’t last for too long so simple headache remedies will fix it.
This is a hard push and intense pulsing within the head. Migraines are often one-sided and have the person suffering from it sensitive to both light and sound. Environmental factors such as sleep, dehydration, skipped meals and hormonal fluctuations are triggers. Migraines may be hereditary thereby causing the affected individual to suffer symptoms including blind spots, zigzag lines, shimmering lights, etc.
Related Article: Migraine Relief
Headaches often occur because of some allergies, the pain from this headache is felt in front of the head.
Posttraumatic headaches can develop after a head injury. These headaches can worsen from mild to chronic.
High blood pressure triggers headaches, and it is usually a warning signal. It means that blood pressure is dangerously high. The quality of this kind of headache is often pulsating and makes any activity worse to carry out or complete.
The kind of headache you might know
The types of headaches mentioned above may belong to one of these groups – Episodic headaches or chronic headaches. The former tends to occur – often ranging from few minutes to several hours. Chronic headaches, on the other hand, are more consistent and last longer – for days or even weeks. An effective headache management then becomes inevitable. The good news is that natural headache remedies will cure both kinds permanently when you follow the directions carefully.
Related Article: Migraine VS Headache
Natural remedies work.
Headaches are often brushed aside as though they are nothing more than a complaint or a whining little kid. A sick headache is enough to make your day-to-day life harder than it should be. Often, people pop an Aspirin and refuse to follow up since there may be a temporary relief.
Ultimately, getting a temporary solution will only complicate your challenges. Let’s look at it like this; when you refuse to tackle what triggers the headache, you’re simply encouraging the symptoms and telling them to take a stroll. They will be back definitely. The ultimate remedies for headaches are natural headache remedies, some take, others simply take more. In fact, they are less likely to have negative side effects. As time goes by, many people become dependent on these drugs, thus abusing their usage.
Related Article: Home Remedies For Headaches and Holistic Prevention
Simple stretch out and relaxation
Life moves faster than we anticipate. Often people look back and discover they have overworked their bodies and minds with no real time to relax. This singular act of stress without proper relaxation propagates headache pains and may lead to migraines. Sometimes, muscles are tensed up, and different parts of the body experience stiffness.
NATURAL REMEDIES FOR HEADACHES
Because cold and hot compresses are, in fact, a great remedy for wary headaches and migraines, Trek Proof ice pack is then a natural headache relief option. In a market where there are several options, it is best to go for value and longevity. The whole kit comes with two gels that provide comfortable cushioning to affected areas. Ice packs may be used alternately as cold or hot.
Trek Proof ice pack is designed to be skin-safe with its adjustable straps. Furthermore, this natural remedy for headaches is freezer and microwave friendly when set at the right temperature.
- The adjustable straps provide therapeutic relief to aching muscles around the head. Also, the straps are flexible and comes with a one-size fit for all body types.
- Medical grade gel can be switched easily to both icing and heating ranges, based on individual requirement.
- Ice pack fillers are properly stitched and are liable to stay cold for about 30 minutes, creating a reasonable period for optimal use.
- Gel packs mold against the body with little or no pressure.
- Trek proof ice packs may be used on the go, at home or at work. Just strap up.
- Two packs for the cost of one
- Effective for both hot and cold therapy.
- Total body conformation may not be easy to achieve.
Check The Latest Price
Vita Sciences developed Migravent as a brain enhancer and supplement useful for enhancing the general function of brain muscles. In addition to being effective for boosting memory power as well as maintaining neurological effectiveness, this supplement is useful for people suffering from migraines and related headache symptoms. The product is made from natural ingredients that focus on diminishing adverse effects of migraines.
Major Ingredient list and functions
- Butterbur extract: Butterbur is a great headache relief plant belonging to the daisy family. The beta blocker function of butterbur extract regulates blood flow to the brain hence helping neurological function.
- Magnesium: is a macro mineral whose function include muscle and nerve functionality.
- Co-enzyme Q10: this is ubiquinone with a biochemical function in every cell in the body. It works fundamentally for energy production and assists the function of the brain.
- Aids nutritional support if you’re suffering from migraines.
- Reduces fatigue and stress
- Reduces and eradicate migraine symptoms
- Manufacturers provide 100% refund
- Increases mental and neurological function
- The product does not have any known side effects yet
- Product may not be suitable for potential users on a budget, as it may be expensive.
- Manufacturers do not indicate the specific composition of ingredients used.
On a general note, Migravent is an excellent all-natural headache remedy with immense benefits and results.
Check The Latest Price
When in search of essential oils that provide the best natural cure for headache, plant therapy essential oils are an excellent brand. To begin with, there are over a hundred types of known essential oils in the world, each retains their unique health benefits. These oils are known for producing tension releasing effects which are often associated with headache relief. Plant Therapy essential oils are then one of the purest combos of essential oils with intensive processing of raw materials. Lemon essential oil may be combined with cinnamon to obtain maximum effects. The ingredients consist of seeds, roots, stems, flowers, barks, and leaves of plants. The most interesting aspect is that they are made to be carried easily in roll-on bottles, body car sets, accessories and kid-safe synergy products thereby making them a great headache relief product which can be accessed anywhere. Lastly, the ultimate synergy of these oils sets a great romantic scene with other products such as jasmine, lavender, etc.
- Oils are incredibly high quality.
- They are budget friendly.
- Manufacturers educate users on safe usage of oils.
- Several product options to select from.
- Product may be considered to smell intense and quite strong.
Check The Latest Price
Naproxen is an anti-inflammatory non-steroid drug used for relieving pains including headaches. The mode of action is essentially blockage of certain bodily inflammation outlets and hormone-like substances responsible for pain or aches. Tablets are considered to be highly effective with much attributes to the most active component, naproxen sodium 220g.
- The product delivers fast and effective headache relief
- Relatively cheap to procure
- The bottle contains large quality of tablets
- Expiry dates are moderately fair
- Has side effects such as drowsiness and sluggishness
- It may have adverse effects on persons with allergies.
Check The Latest Price
A combination of acetaminophen, caffeine, and aspirin, all of which contain elements that provide natural remedies for headache upon use. Excedrin is available in both gel tabs and caplets and works for tension headaches as well as migraines. For some users, reliefs from headaches begin 15 minutes into usage thereby making it appropriate for all kinds of headaches even one ensuing from a hangover. The migraine version possesses exact active ingredients and few different inactive ingredients, so the former is useful for treating mild migraine.
- Fast relief
- Jittery feeling as a result of caffeine component
Check The Latest Price
Each soft gel offers delivery for headache treatment as well as ache relief. It is a non-steroid anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Drug administration is by mouth, and every dosage has active ingredient present as free acid and potassium salt. Soft gels are chewable and pretty faster in action in comparison to regular caplets. They also dissolve quickly and are great for other health conditions including arthritis, body aches, and others.
- Fast relief and quick absorption
- Works also for hangovers
- Price is very moderate, works for users on a budget
- The drug may have side effects such as drowsiness
Check The Latest Price
Life moves fast, with tons of hectic workload; headache becomes inevitable. Advil Liquid-Gels deliver fast headache relief as well as long-lasting effects. The drug is famous for rendering relief exactly where it is needed. Essentially, the Ibuprofen works extensively towards pain relief, minor aches and fever eradication. Its 200mg ibuprofen ingredient and 20 mg potassium work faster because of its soft-gelatin like a capsule. Also, Advil Liquid-Gels do not contain acetaminophen, which has been implicated in liver damage in excess doses.
- Provides fast reliefs for headaches and other kinds of pain within minutes.
- Relieves pain at the site of inflammation.
- The ibuprofen content may cause severe allergic reactions in users allergic to aspirin with symptoms like shock, rash, blisters, hives, etc.
- Stomach bleeding may also occur in ulcer patients as well as older users (ages 60 and above).
- Low shelf-life
- The bottle is quite fragile and may be opened by curious kids or wrong placement.
Check The Latest Price
Sitting in front of your laptop or staying concentrated on a job for long gives rise to neck and back pain. Often, it results in tension headaches, migraines, and intense pains in muscles around the neck. Seeking relief from such pains may be difficult, but Medi-Temp Head-Neck Hot/Cold therapy pad works just fine. It is in fact, one of the best natural cures for headache. The product is a premium grade hypoallergenic gel pack. Its design follows a perfect covering for affected areas around the head and neck. The pack is reusable and washable in both hot and cold water. The vacuum pack has double lamination pouch, which is flexible at every temperature. One of the nicest features is its easy draping on both head and neck. The soft pillowslip allows for ease of use while working. With a simple dip in hot or cold water for some time, your pad is ready for use. Alternatively, you can heat in the microwave or simply freeze in the refrigerator.
- The product is effective and considerably cheap
- Gel lasts longer when frozen or heated
- Sleeve and velcro-like closure are comfortable
- Pads are not pliable when frozen
- Sleeve and velcro-like patch cannot be replaced when worn off.
- The white side of the product may be too chilly when frozen hence causing some discomfort.
Check The Latest Price
Basic Care Ibuprofen tablets with its active agent as Ibuprofen 200mg works for headache reliefs. Headache symptoms are caused by common cold, muscular aches, toothache, backache,
Menstrual cramps as well as other related conditions. The tablets provide temporary cure when the headache is triggered by the nervous system as a form of pain. Headache disappear within a few minutes of usage. The simplest pain on the body can be managed for weeks or months, but ibuprofen addresses them immediately. Unlike narcotics, which are effective but exhibit numerous kinds of side effects, Basic Care Ibuprofen is considered to be safe for individuals from age 12 and above. These coated tablets are gluten free.
- Manufactured with 2 years expiration
- Fair price for 500 Ibuprofen tablets
- The drug may elicit severe sensitive reactions in people allergy to aspirin concerning symptoms like wheezing, skin reddening, etc.
- Contains NSAID which may cause severe stomach bleeding in older persons and people with a history of stomach ulcers.
- Product caps are too easy to break.
10. IMAK Compression Pain Relief Mask and Eye Pillow, Cold therapy for headache, migraine and sinus painCheck The Latest Price
One of the advantages of the IMAK compression mask is that it also functions as a sleep mask. It is not exclusive to headache relief only. While it is great for headaches caused by strain and tiredness, there are spaces to accommodate the eyes when in use. If you catch headaches as a result of sensitivity to light or have a migraine, this mask will solve your problems. Many people prefer staying in dark rooms when suffering from migraines as it helps them recover faster. IMAK mask is perfect as it blocks light while providing comfort for headaches.
Also, the mask alleviates direct pressure from the head, making it one of the best natural remedies for headaches and preventing future occurrences. Another advantage is that the mask can be placed in a fridge or freezer to provide a cold relief for headaches and migraines without the regular ice pack. The acupuncture-like feel from the weight of the mask and this cooling therapy makes a perfect natural headache relief.
The IMAK compression mask is made from cotton fabric and ergo beads that gives special massage effects when worn. In addition to this, the stitches on the mask stop pressure from reaching affected areas. It has an elastic strap which keeps it secure over the eyes which makes it great for back sleepers. You should consider picking the IMAK compression mask if:
- You travel often: the stress of moving from one place to another is bound to cause headaches. As the mask is easy to transport and comfortable to wear, you can wear on transit, enjoy headache reliefs and have a sound sleep too.
- Don’t need a silk mask: unlike other kinds of masks, the IMAK is made from cotton fabric and stays cool while in use.
- Cooling relief
- Comfy lycra cotton material
- Blocks off light
- Design provides additional comfort
- One size (fits all) adjustable elastic strap
- Comes in different color options
- This mask may not be suitable for persons who sleep in different positions as it tends to fall off when you change positions.
- The mask may pick up the smell of your refrigerator, hence emitting offensive odors.
- Thin elastic straps wear off over time.
- The mask keeps cool for only a short period of time, so you may consider purchasing more than one.
All of the mentioned natural remedies for headaches have clinically proven ingredients with all-natural elements. Regardless of the kind of a headache you’re suffering from, the discussed products are great natural headache remedies options. Hopefully, this review of natural remedies for headaches has provided a number of options to try out without breaking the bank. Overall, when buying any, we recommend you make your purchases based on symptoms. However, these products will enjoy more positive reviews and a boost in sales if their side effects are addressed or some of the prices lowered.